Published twice annually by Michigan State University Press, Fourth Genre is a literary journal that explores the boundaries of contemporary and creative nonfiction. Personal essays are welcome—including nature, environmental, and travel essays—as well as memoirs, personal critical essays, and literary journalism. We are also interested in queries for interviews and for reviews of current books.
Two (2) issues published annually. Spring (#1) and Fall (#2)
- General Submissions: Accepted August 30 - November 30 only. Authors selected for publication paid with two (2) complimentary copies of the journal.
- Include cover letter with your name, address, email address, title of piece, and approximate word count. No need to include a bio.
- Please be sure your name does not appear on the manuscript, either on the front page or in the headers or footers.
- 8,000 word limit for general submissions.
- Multiple submissions not accepted from individual authors (non-contest submissions only).
- Simultaneous submissions require immediate notification to Fourth Genre if accepted elsewhere
IMAGES & DERIVATIVE MATERIALS
- All images must be minimum 300 dpi at planned publication size
- It is the author/researcher’s obligation and responsibility to determine and satisfy copyright and/or other use restrictions prior to submitting materials to MSU Press for publication
- Citations, permissions, and captions are required upon submission for all images, including those derived from the internet
- Use the Fourth Genre Permission Request Letter to obtain permission from image’s rightsholder
- MSU Press cannot publish such materials until written clearance is obtained