Fourth Genre is devoted to publishing notable, innovative work in nonfiction. Given the genre’s flexibility and expansiveness, we welcome a variety of essays, including personal, nature, lyric, graphic, literary journalism, travel, and environmental. We're interested in works that are lyrical, self-interrogative, meditative, and reflective, as well as expository, analytical, exploratory, or whimsical--in short, submissions from across the full spectrum of literary and creative nonfiction.
Two (2) issues published annually: Spring (#1) and Fall (#2).
- General submissions are accepted August 30-November 30 only. Reading fee is $3. Authors selected for publication are paid with two (2) complimentary copies of the journal.
- Include cover letter: name, address, phone number, email address, title of piece, and approximate word count
- 8,000 word limit
- Multiple submissions not accepted from individual authors during the general submissions period.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but require immediate notification to Fourth Genre if accepted elsewhere
- Fourth Genre Steinberg Essay Prize submissions are accepted January 15 - March 15 only. For additional information about contest submissions, visit the Essay Prize Page.
- Reading fee for the Essay Prize: $22 (U.S.) for each individual submission (multiple submissions accepted).
- For both reading periods, we read blind, so be sure your name or any other identifying information does not appear on the manuscript.
Published twice annually by Michigan State University Press, Fourth Genre is a literary journal that explores the boundaries of contemporary and creative nonfiction. Personal essays are welcome—including nature, environmental, and travel essays—as well as memoirs, personal critical essays, and literary journalism. We are also interested in queries for interviews and for reviews of current books.
Two (2) issues published annually. Spring (#1) and Fall (#2)
- General Submissions: Accepted August 15-November 30 only. Authors selected for publication paid with two (2) complimentary copies of the journal.
- Include cover letter: name, address, phone number, email address, title of piece, and approximate word count.
- Please be sure your name does not appear on the manuscript, either on the front page or in the headers or footers.
- 8,000 word limit for general submissions.
- Multiple submissions not accepted from individual authors (non-contest submissions only).
- Simultaneous submissions require immediate notification to Fourth Genre if accepted elsewhere
IMAGES & DERIVATIVE MATERIALS
- All images must be minimum 300 dpi at planned publication size
- It is the author/researcher’s obligation and responsibility to determine and satisfy copyright and/or other use restrictions prior to submitting materials to MSU Press for publication
- Citations, permissions, and captions are required upon submission for all images, including those derived from the internet
- Use the Fourth Genre Permission Request Letter to obtain permission from image’s rightsholder
- MSU Press cannot publish such materials until written clearance is obtained