There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Fourth Genre is devoted to publishing notable, innovative work in nonfiction. Given the genre’s flexibility and expansiveness, we welcome a variety of essays, including personal, nature, lyric, graphic, literary journalism, travel, and environmental. We're interested in works that are lyrical, self-interrogative, meditative, and reflective, as well as expository, analytical, exploratory, or whimsical--in short, submissions from across the full spectrum of literary and creative nonfiction.
Two (2) issues published annually: Spring (#1) and Fall (#2).
- General submissions are accepted August 30-November 30 only. Reading fee is $3. Authors selected for publication are paid with two (2) complimentary copies of the journal.
- Include cover letter: name, address, phone number, email address, title of piece, and approximate word count
- 8,000 word limit
- Multiple submissions not accepted from individual authors during the general submissions period.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but require immediate notification to Fourth Genre if accepted elsewhere
- Fourth Genre Steinberg Essay Prize submissions are accepted January 15 - March 15 only. For additional information about contest submissions, visit the Essay Prize Page.
- Reading fee for the Essay Prize: $22 (U.S.) for each individual submission (multiple submissions accepted).
- For both reading periods, we read blind, so be sure your name or any other identifying information does not appear on the manuscript.